Sunday 24 April 2016

Makin's Clay April post: Seeing all blue



Hello my dear crafty friends and welcome to my Makin's Clay first post for the new 2016 term.
I am very happy to stay on this gorgeous company team and to move to the next step from Makin's Professional certification I already got.
 But for this I need to develop my clay skills and this post is all about " do things without knowing the final result".
For this post we  were asked to mix Makin's Clay. Yes, to mix colors with Makin's  Clay Mixing Ruler and to make the project from the mixed colored clay.
So I mixed,and mixed and mixed and got like 10 shades of blue. (Not grey, just blues, like my mood lately). And then I made a lot of different things of all mixed clay and here is the way I worked this time.
But for today's post I am going to share just my kind of faux TURQUOISE color and made a really fancy necklace that maybe seams heavy, but as Makin's Clay is very light, it's just an illusion.
 Step by step tutorial:

1. Makin's Clay Mixing  Ruler  color chart has a lot of mixing possibilities; but unfortunately Turquoise  is not in the chart (and I didn't want to mess with mixing acrylic paint this time).
So I made my own mixing recipe and I checked and double checked it and IT WORKS!
Mix H part of Concord Blue  clay form Vineyard Tones set with G part of  white clay together with F part of Grape Leaf clay( Vineyard Tones colors) and E part of Green clay. This will give you the right  shade of turquoise, but if you want it lighter or darker- just add more white or use smaller  white portion. For my project I used much more then one portion (just mixed like 10 times more of each color to get colored clay for this project).





2.Make 2 large  round beads  and cover them with clear glitter. Make a few flat sided smaller beads using Makin's Clay Ultimate Clay  Extruder without any disc- the log that comes  out is just in a perfect size to make those beads in no time. Make a hole with the tool from Makin's Clay  Professional  Clay tools set pushing it from both sides of the flat beads. Cover flat beads with blue glitter. Now let the beads dry for 24 hours.




3. Use Makin's Clay roller and cut  a heart with a big heart cutter(just my old stash); I also added 4 small circles made with Makin's Clay small circle cutters. For the texture I rolled copper, light and dark blue micro beads over the wet heart shape. Just sprinkle the beads and roll over with Makin's Clay rolled tool. Then make holes and let the pieces dry overnight.




4. Arrange the necklace over the thin ball chain adding some copper beads.  Make elephant from black clay using a mold (this is my own home made mold). Paint the elephant with copper acrylic paint and a bit of turquoise acrylic hue and glue over the heart pendant. Cover all clay pieces with glaze and let it dry.
Enjoy you nice necklace !


And this is a finished necklace in all its glory!






Product list:

Makin's Clay products used:
White
Green
Concord blue
Grape leaf
 Black



Other products:
Heart cutter-my own kitchen
Copper acrylic paint- Plaid
Micro beads- Marth Stewart
Glaze- Sweet Stamps
Glitter
Elephant mold- hand made mold
Copper bead, ball chain


No comments:

Popular Posts